What have I been doing this week to improve my food. Hmm... I spent a lot of time reading the past archives of Jennifer McCann's Vegan Lunch Box. All the way from 2005 to the present time. I took a look at her newer blog, but I'm not so drawn to that one. What do I like about Vegan Lunch Box? First it's a touching record of loving care for her son, the little Schmoo, on a day-to-day basis, and by extension, her devoted readers. Second, not a lot of repeats. Some things repeated, like blanched vegetables, nuts, pretzels, but not the central food item. So it's a gold mine for nutritious lunch plans. I got sidetracked on a quest for bento box sets and the like, but in the end, rejected them. That's not quite my style, anyway. I'm a washed-plastic-baggie, former salsa jar, recycled margarine tub kind of lunch packer, in a little plastic cooler I've had for close to 20 years. I don't want to have to buy a matching, carefully tailored insulated cold-pack tote. I'd rather make some large ice cubes frozen in plastic cups I kept from the water machine while shopping at Whole Foods, and toss them in my cooler with the stuff.
However, have I done any of those things? Lately? No. Because I'm generally home for lunch. But maybe I should pack a lunch anyway. First, because now that the weather is warm, I could picnic or something nice. But mostly because I'd have a calorie-controlled finite nutritious meal, something defined, other than the current open-the-fridge graze-a-thon experience. Plus it would be an opportunity to express gratitude and love for myself and my providing abilities. Ala Louise Hay. That makes me cringe a little bit, but I'm trying it on.
Also in Food News, I checked out Aldi, a recent grocery chain to my area. I brought back a lot of food, especially produce. A big pack of fresh strawberries, a buck. Likewise, fresh button mushrooms, a buck. A 3-pack of pears, likewise. A baggie of frozen berries, $1.89. Cans of beans, 59c, etc. Prices were like when I got my first apartment, in the 80s. I think I like Aldi.
I hunted up 3-5 new food blogs (most of them are complete, but there's a lot of material to get through) to watch, and fantasized about sharing nice food with friends while garage saling.
And I'm knitting up a bunch more kitchen scrubbies (one of the best uses for Red Heart supersaver yarn) in preparation.
Monday, April 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment