Thursday, August 16, 2012

Well, I think I've lost 2 lbs., not certain.  The needle jiggles when I bend to have a closer look. I guess that's the disadvantage of spring scales over beam scales.

The other night I watched the Jeff Novick DVD, "Should I eat that?". Pretty painfully enlightening. When I first entered Weight Watchers, long ago, we did a similar label course, multiplying the fat grams by 9, figuring out total percent of fat, etc., but Jeff's version is more thorough, covering sodium and carb/sugar content. Also, total grams of fat per serving is on the label now, which makes the math much easier. I had not realized one slice of typical bread has much more sodium than a serving of potato chips, though. You don't taste it, because the sodium is in the dough, masked by the other ingredients. Novick also makes plain with math how the demand for "low carb" has pushed both fat and sugar up on the label, in order to fool the consumer. That's right, both are much more prominent in recipes than the same items from the 1980s-90s. I never liked a lot of junk food all that much, I mean, I don't eat chips or cookies at home, except rarely, but that's just outrageous. Not a surprise to me, though. I knew about label chicanery. And the sodium content remains unbelievable. His point about sodium is that the bulk of sodium is hidden in processed foods where you can't really detect it, 20-30% naturally occurs in the food, and maybe 10-11% is applied at the table. You can totally eliminate what you apply at the table, making food tasteless and joyless, and you are still way over the sodium guidelines for health and for lowering blood pressure. Then people complain to their doctor that lowering sodium doesn't work for them, and the Dr. says, "You aren't salt sensitive, it will have to be drugs." Instead if you can eliminate the bulk of sodium from the diet, you can apply salt at the table, and that will work much better. Sadly, finding processed food without overloaded sodium takes a serious search. Hence Novick's approach is to eat an unprocessed diet, which thankfully tends to be food I prefer anyway. Cutting down on sodium I fear is going to be harder for me, until my taste adjusts. I got used to my mother's low sodium, low sugar diet a long time ago, and my taste did adjust, I do remember that. When I ate normal food after spending a couple of months with her in Colorado eating her food, I was blown away by how salty and/or sweet everything was. Almost inedible. I'm actually looking forward to that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment